Jane Austen Society Forms at Hershey High School

Abigail Lee and Benji Keeler

A new club has been created at Hershey High School, and it is different from most others.

The Jane Austen society was created in the 2018-2019 school year by sophomores Taylor Koda and Ann Liu. The club meets every Tuesday after school in Mrs. Silvestri’s room. Koda and Liu were in that same room when they first decided to start the club.

“We were talking about how no one reads Jane Austen anymore. Ann suggested the club and Silvestri said she’d advise,” said Koda.

The club is focused around the works of Jane Austen, an 18th century novelist, whose works include Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility. Members are expected to read an assigned book outside of the club, and then they have discussions within the meetings. Many assigned books correspond with film adaptations, so they watch those as well. They also incorporate planning for club activities, trips, and fundraising.

“I think it’s a fun opportunity to hang out with friends outside of school. I’m hoping more people will join and it’ll get more people into reading the classics,” said Sophia DeDonatis, sophomore and vice president of the club.

Members aren’t required to have established knowledge of Jane Austen in order to join. The club welcomes everyone including those who aren’t familiar with Jane Austen’s novels.

“I read books that mentioned her, but I hadn’t read any of her works prior,” said DeDonatis.

As the club becomes more active, they prepare for future events, such as a bake sale and a Christmas party. One of their long term goals includes attending a ball in Philadelphia and other similar trips.

In addition, the society is planning some possible charity donations. “We want to have fun reading books, and eventually donate to charity,” said Koda. Some charities they have in mind are the “Malala Fund” and “Women’s Education.”

The members are also drawing attention to potential scholarship opportunities for students. The official Jane Austen Society hosts an annual essay contest. Winners receive up to $1000, according to the JASNA website.

By reading and discussing Jane Austen’s novels, the club fosters an appreciation into more unknown subjects.

“I think it’ll bring a newfound interest in reading and history to its members and hopefully the school,” said sophomore Anna Callahan.

Ultimately, the Jane Austen Society hopes to leave a lasting impact after the founding members graduate. Jane Austen is a source of inspiration for many, and the club uses her legacy to positively influence others.

“We hope to create an environment where women feel more valued and where literature is more valued,” said Koda.