Art Studio Opens During Lunches

Katie Jones, Reporter

AP art student, Karis Gould, multitasks by working on pieces of her project and eating her lunch. Working during lunch allows especially busy students, like Gould, to perfect their projects. (Broadcaster/Katie Jones)

Hershey High School is being proactive in the 2018 school year by opening up more doors to art students.

A new option is being offered to art students of all levels. These specific students are able to go in the art room instead of lunch room to work on projects they are behind on, new projects that are just getting the ball rolling on, or even just to doodle and get away from the chaos of school.

In search to successfully fit a study hall into the AP art students’ schedules, art teachers, Naomi Spahr and Patty Costello, along with principal, Jeff Smith, came to conclusion that the best way to provide the students with the additional time (if needed) would be during lunches. In addition to just AP students, they finally decided to open up the art room to everyone who takes art classes.

Spahr and Costello split up the supervision by period, Spahr covers periods 5A through D in room C13 and Costello covers the later periods, so periods 5DE are in the room beside Spahr’s.

Because this is a brand new system, the art teachers were not totally sure what to expect, however they will continue to work out a few kinks in the system. Deciding what is easiest to eat and what is allowed to be eaten while balancing working and making art has been discussed, but there is not yet a solution.

While discussing the only other issue faced with the new system, Spahr said, “Some students I feel like are focused on coming here, but I want them to also focus on their artwork. So figuring out the food thing and making sure people are here for the right reasons.”

Spahr said, “We’re kind of detering anybody that wants to just come hang.”

Spahr emphasizes how important it is that students know this is not a place to hang out or a fall back for slacking off, rather a place to enhance artistic abilities and catch up on work that has been missed due to not being in class.

Despite the few bumps, both art teachers have approached the new opportunity with positivity and have found it to be immensely beneficial. Spahr exclaimed that nearly half of all art students have already been in during lunches within the first five weeks of school.

Spahr said she expects as project deadlines approach, the lunch study hall period will be utilized even more than it already has been. Instead of taking large canvases home, students can rightfully use this period to tie up some loose ends with their projects.

As of now, the system seems to be going smoothly, but with room for improvement.  Spahr said, “So far I like it, but we could think about doing other things during this time, like have a visiting artist, but so far so good.”