International Friendship Day

Elaina Joyner, Reporter

Seniors at Hershey High School, Olivia Reid, left, and Emily Reilly, right, pose for a photo together. Reid and Reilly have been friends since 6th grade and have always been super close. (Broadcaster/Elaina Joyner)

If you love your BFF, International Friendship Day is the perfect day to celebrate them.

This year, International Friendship day takes place on Monday, July 30, 2018. It is meant for best friends to celebrate their love for each other and to show their appreciation.

According to the National Day Calendar, “this day is a time to show them how much you appreciate them, how special and important they are to you, and how you cherish their friendship.”

Everyone has that one person who means the world to them, shares all their secrets with them, and goes on adventures with them. This holiday is the perfect day to demonstrate your love for that person and really show how much they mean to you.

International Friendship Day began in 1935 when Congress decided to dedicate a full day in honor of friendship. According to the Holiday Spot, “with the devastating effects of the First World War mistrust and hatred between countries providing the perfect conditions for another imminent battle, there was a greater need for friendship and camaraderie not only among nations but also among individuals.” It is believed that Congress made this day to try to relive some of the tension.

Win Calendar defined this holiday as a day “designed to foster friendships and bridge the gaps between race, color, religion and other factors which keep humans from enjoying friendship with one another.”

To celebrate this international day, you could connect with your friends. You could call them and catch up if you haven’t talked in awhile. Huffington Post suggests to really listen to what they are talking to you about and to not focus on yourself. They said to“really tune in and listen mindfully to what they have to say, without an agenda and notice your well-being rise.”

There is many other ways to celebrate International Friendship Day.  One thing you can do is a movie night with your closest BFF. Movies such as Best Friends, Bring it On, Mean Girls, and The Help are great to watch because they show the importance of best friends. Grab some ice cream and popcorn and settle in to watch these films. Another thing you can do is go shopping together and try on extravagant clothing to laugh together or spend some quality time sharing how much they mean to you. Also, you can go on a photoshoot and pose like models together.

Hire a photographer to be your personal paparazzi and snap some pictures of the two of you at all your favorite places,” shared Berries.

Another thing you can do to celebrate this day is to get a meaningful present for your closest friends. Making a scrapbook full of all your favorite memories of each other would be a great way to show how much you appreciate them. Even a necklace that has your names on it could show them how much they mean to you. Real Simple suggests a pearl of friendship necklaces to show off how much you mean to each other.

Ultimately this day is the perfect to spend quality time with your friends that mean the world to you. It’s a day to cherish the memories and the love that you feel. It is a way to tell someone how much they mean to you.