Editorial: People Should Be Able to Choose Which Bathroom Regardless of Gender

Alexis Moodie, Layout

Over the past few years, there have been many debates and rallies about the transgender community. According to USA Today, “The study looked at students in ninth and 11th grade and estimated that nearly 3 percent are transgender or gender nonconforming, meaning they don’t always self-identify as the sex they were assigned at birth.” All people regardless of gender should be able to use the bathroom that makes them feel most comfortable.

The transgender community is a minority that needs to be represented. They are currently struggling to gain their basic human rights. Currently, their constitutional right of pursuit of happiness is in jeopardy because in some states currently they can not come out or transition safely.

In 28 out of the 50 U.S. states, according to American Progress, there are no laws giving any housing protection to anyone identifying as LGBTQ+. This means that they can be denied or evicted because of their sexual or gender identity.

The lack of protection could not only cost them their house, but there are also no laws preventing discrimination in the workplace.

Using a bathroom may seem insignificant, but for the people who have struggled with gender using the desired bathroom can really help. However, there are also other people who do not align with either stereotypical gender.

Bathrooms are an already private, personal space that could cause even more anxiety especially if they are trying or have not yet transitioned. Transitioning medically can cost almost $100,000, according to CNN, so not all people have the same access to these services that can make them feel more themselves.

Feeling safe as yourself is something you can not put a price on. Thankfully at Hershey High School, we have a nondiscriminatory policy, on page 28 of the Hershey High School Student Handbook, that protects transgender students and allows them to use the bathroom they feel most comfortable in.

If you are not in the Hershey area, you can email or call your representatives to urge them to support protective bills.