Pennsylvania Free Enterprise Offered to HHS students

Elizabeth Newman, Layout Designer

Breaking into the business world can be tough, but there is a way to make it a little easier.

The Pennsylvania Free Enterprise Week (PFEW) is a week-long program offered to incoming high school juniors and seniors in the summer. It teaches students about the American free enterprise system. The program costs $285 along with additional travel expenses. Lycoming College and PA College of Technology are both available locations for the program. Great experiences and scholarships can be earned through the program.

Students at PFEW are given the opportunity to see what it is like to run their own business. They are able to form their own management team, come up with their own marketing strategies, and build their own website. The students will be making the same decisions that real company executives make as well.

At PFEW, there are many business volunteers, called Company Advisors, who mentor the students and offer any help or guidance if needed. The students are also able to hear from many different motivational speakers and participate in interactive learning exercises to learn about the free enterprise system.

Along with great business skills, students at PFEW are able to see what it is like to live on a college campus. Students also get to learn essential skills such as teamwork, leadership, and communication.

There is also some fun built into the week at PFEW. Students will be able to hang out with their friends at an ice cream social, have fun at a pool party, and show off their dance moves on the dancefloor after the Awards Banquet at the end of the week.  

Students are also eligible for scholarships at PFEW. The Lycoming College scholarship offers a total of $20,000 ($5,000/year for four years). The Pennsylvania College of Technology scholarship offers a total of $8,000 ($2,000/year for four years).

Applications can be found online or in the HHS counseling office. The early bird deadline for applications are March 2, 2018, and the final deadline is April 6, 2018. Each student that is accepted into the program will receive a scholarship valued at $1,500 from a PA business or community organization in order to attend PFEW.

The students at the Pennsylvania Free Enterprise Week in July of 1999 pose for a photo at Lycoming College. PFEW is a week long program for incoming high school juniors and seniors (Flickr/Eklaughlin).