Freshmen Adjustments to HHS

Michael Cronin, ninth grade, ecstatic to get a break from his normal daily soccer practice from three to five, rides the bus home after school. Cronin spends an average of two hours working on homework each night. (Broadcaster/Claire Strucko)

Claire Strucko, Copy Editor

Change can be difficult.

With a new school year can come big adjustments; one of those adjustments is the transition from the middle school to the high school. As the 2017-2018 school year starts, the class of 2021 will start their freshman year at Hershey High School (HHS).

“The most noticeable change I have had from middle school to high school is going from being the oldest in the middle school, where I tried to be a role model for the underclassmen, to being the youngest in the high school where I look up to upperclassmen as leaders in things like sports and clubs,” said freshman Michael Cronin.

In the past years Cronin has walked over from Hershey Middle School (HMS) in the early mornings to attend a high school level math class which has helped him with getting used to being in class with older students and what to expect from a high school level course.

For Cronin, the AP Computer Science and Calculus classes he is enrolled in can be very academically demanding, but with good time management and a balance of social life, extracurriculars and academics, he finds a way to thrive in everything he does.

An everyday essential for the 9th graders, along with the rest of the school, is the use of the iPad for their academics. Starting this year, HHS went to a 1-to-1 ratio with students and iPads, spreading the use from every student at HMS to every student at HHS. All classes currently in the school have had prior experience from their 8th grade year with the iPads.

“The iPad protocols are basically the same as they were last year,” said freshman Emma Quillen. “The use of the iPads in the middle school really helped with our knowledge this year especially since we use them more in the high school than last year in the middle school.”

Teachers at HHS have been implementing the devices more often in class through Canvas and interactive apps, making it clear that charging your iPad every day is highly important for students to be successful throughout their day.

With the start of the year brings opportunities to join many extracurricular activities. For Quillen and her best friend, Ella Suri, yearbook club and cheerleading are two extracurriculars that they have already become a part of at HHS.

“I have already joined yearbook club,  and I am looking for other clubs to join right now like key club. I am cheering, but I think overall athletics become more serious and time consuming in the high school,” said Suri.

Although balancing academics, extracurriculars and maintaining a social schedule can be time consuming and stressful, most students will figure out a balancing act in their first few weeks of high school.

According to sophomore Danielle Rizzotto, the transition from middle school to high school may seem intimidating, but once you learn the layout of the school it’s not bad at all.

Rizzotto added, “I recommend joining sports because you make so many friends and it’s really nice seeing a familiar face on the first day!”