Obama Celebrates 56th Birthday

In this May 7, 2017, file photo, former President Barack Obama walks toward a podium to address an audience after being presented with the 2017 Profile in Courage award during ceremonies at the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum. Former President Barack Obama is starting to define his new role in the age of Donald Trump. After dropping out of sight for a pair of glamorous island getaways, Obama is emerging for a series of paid and unpaid speeches, drawing sharp contrasts with Trump even as he avoids saying the new president’s name. (AP Photo/Steven Senne)

Omer Qureshi, World section editor/Reporter

On August 4th, President #44 will celebrate birthday #56.

Barack Obama will turn 56 this summer, in his first birthday outside of the White House since becoming President. After exiting the White House, the Obama couple took an extended vacation, and soon after returned to public life.

In his first post-presidency speech, Obama promoted activism and civic duty to young people and encouraged them to stay positive even in times of hardship. Obama hopes to use his foundation, the Obama Foundation, to develop youth and community leaders and promote positive citizenship.

The Obama family will remain in D.C., where the former president can remain politically active, so his youngest daughter Sasha can finish high school. Malia Obama will be taking a gap year and then will attend Harvard University as part of the class of 2021.

The family will be staying in a house in the Kalorama neighborhood of D.C. The location is an upscale property, and will be secured by the Secret Service security force which will remain with the president and his family.

Despite the desire to keep his presence low-key, Obama is often dragged into the spotlight, especially in regards to the Trump presidency. Despite this, he has shied away from mentioning the current president when possible.

As a private citizen, Obama hopes to tackle several issues as he embarks on improving the country in his image. Obama hopes to rebuild the decimated Democratic party bench through candidate recruitment, tackle and dismantle the process of gerrymandering districts, and promote youth civic engagement.

Obama remains one of the youngest former presidents, and continues to work towards molding his legacy in the politically divisive climate which he only just left.