22nd Annual College Fair Offered to Students

Elizabeth Newman, Reporter

The 22nd Annual College fair is being hosted again by the Harrisburg Academy. Available to all students in grades 9 through 12 who attend high schools in the area, the fair will take place on Monday, April 24, 2017 from 6:00 to 7:30pm in Louis Lehrman Gymnasium.

For many in high school, attending college will be their next step. According to Harrisburg Academy, college preparation, application processes, and selection are extremely important in order to have a successful post-secondary education.

Last year about 100 colleges attended the fair, and about 120 colleges from across the country are approximated to be at the fair this year. The list is not final, but Harrisburg Academy suggested to check back to their site closer to the fair date.

Not only will colleges be attending the event, but also multiple groups who offer financial aid will be there to give out information.

Harrisburg Academy has provided tips for the students attending the fair. One of the tips is to prepare and bring labels with your name, address, phone number, email, high school name, graduation year, and GPA. This will save you time, so instead of filling out all of the information cards, you can spend that time talking with the college representatives. Along with bringing those labels, bring a pen and a bag to hold the materials colleges will hand out.

Other helpful tips were to dress nicely because first impressions are very important. Also, making sure you are the person introducing yourself to the college representatives is a good idea.

Upon arrival at the fair, students will be given a folder with descriptions of all of the colleges in attendance. Also, they will receive a map, sheet of questions to help boost conversations, pencils, and a nametag.

The fair is free, but registration for the event highly encouraged by Harrisburg Academy. Registration is available on site the day of, but pre-registering is a good choice.

Parking for this event is located in Harrisburg Academy’s front parking lot. It is the side of the buildings opposite of the athletic fields. There will be staff directing traffic.