HHS Principal Reimann to leave in January

Emily Briselli, Managing Editor

With additional reporting by Kate Sinz, Moxie Thompson, and Kieri Karpa.

Hershey High School Principal Dr. Dale Reimann announced he has accepted an assistant superintendent position at Manheim Township.

Dr. Dale Reimann poses with a mural in his office on Friday, November 18, 2016.  Dr. Reimann announced he will be leaving Hershey High School in mid-January to become the assistant superintendent at Manheim Township.  (Broadcaster/Lexie Corcoran)
Dr. Dale Reimann poses with a mural in his office on Friday, November 18, 2016. Dr. Reimann announced he will be leaving Hershey High School in mid-January to become the assistant superintendent at Manheim Township. (Broadcaster/Lexie Corcoran)

Reimann notified the student body via email of his resignation as Hershey High School principal on Friday, November 18, 2016.  The staff were notified at a meeting before first period.

Reimann has served as principal of HHS for the past five years. He will leave Hershey High in mid-January to begin his new role as assistant superintendent of Manheim Township School District.

Reimann has worked in an administrative capacity since 2004, serving as an athletic director, assistant principal, and principal at various school districts. His professional career has consistently kept him on the path to reach his ultimate goal of running an entire school district, and his new position at Manheim Township is another stepping stone to achieve this.

Reimann said that he decided to apply for and accept this new position not only because it works towards his goals, but also because “I felt like I was a strong candidate because of my experience, especially here [at HHS].”

Students and teachers had mixed reactions to news of Reimann’s departure; however, all expressed their admiration and respect for all that he has done at HHS.

English teacher Shari Stuckey said, “I’m really happy for him, but it’s a huge loss for the district.”

Many students echoed this sentiment and commented that they will miss having Dr. Reimann as their principal.

“It’s going to be hard to find someone as good as him,” said freshman Elijah Duck.

Reimann was flattered that the students and staff will miss him, especially because he believes that they are the best part about HHS. Reimann said that his favorite memories are anytime that he was with “the people” that make up this school district. He enjoyed attending concerts, plays, musicals, athletic events, and many other school activities because of the opportunity it allowed him to interact with the administration, staff and students.

While Reimann will not be involved in the selection process of a new principal, he hopes that whoever is chosen is a “people person” and a good listener. Reimann suggested the selection committee should select a candidate that will focus on the needs of students and teachers, stay up to date on current educational trends, and collaborate well with others. He hopes that the new principal will be a good fit for Hershey High School and enjoys it as much as he has.

“The people really are what makes Hershey High School a great place,” Reimann said.