States Cross Country Meet

Moxie Thompson, Reporter

The gun went off, and the stampede of runners took off.

Andie Demko, junior, just pass the 2 mile mark in 12:04. Demko finished 25th, earning herself a medal. (Broadcaster/Moxie Thompson)

The Hershey Cross Country team was represented on Saturday, November 5th at the PIAA States Cross Country meet in Hershey. Five HXC runners participated: Andie Demko, junior; Taylor Mortensen, senior; Andrew Sullivan, junior; Mike Morris, sophomore; and Grant Geyer, senior.

Demko ended the 5k race with a time of 19:14, making her the 25th finisher and a medal-receiver. Mortensen finished with a 19:53, landing her 49th place out of a total of 213 runners.

Both teams participated in the AAA girls and boys races.

Sullivan placed 50th with a time of 16:57, followed by Morris in 87th place with a time 17:12. Geyer came after, placing 166th out of 239 runners, with a time of 17:57.

Hershey successfully finished the final race of the 2016 season with one medal from Andie Demko.

Taylor Mortensen, senior, runs by shortly after the start of the 5k race. Mortensen placed 49th overall. (Broadcaster/Moxie Thompson)

The XC Girls show off their team spirit with HERSHEY spelled out on their stomachs. Some of the team’s girls “painted up” in support of the HXC states runners. (Broadcaster/Kieri Karpa)