Community Day: HHS Anime Club

Jenna Thomas, Reporter

From gory scenes to elegant fairy series, anime has it all.

All anime shows are different, but something that they have in common is they all are Japanese TV shows and movies. Anime is made for all ages and for people who enjoy watching different genres.  

Anime club members like to describe the club as very chill, free-flowing, and accepting of new members in the club.

Victoria Elrod is known as the “leader” of anime club.

“I’ll pick and choose on which anime we would watch, and I’ll take suggestions on what to vote on if we run out of ideas.” said Elrod, “I still have a list from last year that we still haven’t voted on yet.”

Left to right: Victoria Elrod, Elena Lam, Autumn Rauscher, Shannon Myers, Lashell Friedrich, Destiny Neilson, and Sara Neagley talk about their favorite animes.

Located in E221, anime club is a place where you can hang out with friends while watching your favorite anime shows.  Anime club meets every Thursday right after school and usually ends at around 4:00 pm

Lashell Friedrich, sophomore at Hershey High School, is currently in her second year of attending anime club. Friedrich said in anime club, they usually get food from the vending machines, watch anime, draw, and socialize with fellow anime lovers.  

Whoever decides to join anime club doesn’t have to sign in unlike some other clubs, and they are not required to only watch anime.

If a member can’t go to one of the anime club meetings, he or she can keep up with and continue watching anime series on popular anime-watching websites such as CrunchyRoll, Funimation, or Kiss Anime.

Students that don’t only want to watch anime during the club can go to different anime conventions and be surrounded in a room with different people of all sorts that love anime as well.  

In the Harrisburg Mall next to Gamestop, there is a OooWee Art and Gaming Cafe where free conventions are held. In the convention, there isn’t only anime watching but also a massive multiplayer onstage role play, with cosplay included.  

Although the students can go to conventions together, the school is unable to fund money for the students to attend.

Elrod said, “anime club is a good place to hang out and have fun.”