HHS Teacher Explains Importance of Graduate Schools

Adeena Syed, Reporter

For many people, four years of high school, followed by another four years of college, satisfies their educational desires. However, for some people it’s not enough; some people want to go further.

In order to provide those people that would like to further their education with the information they need, Hershey High School teacher Dr. Matthew Kirby held a question and answer session for students planning to go to graduate school on October 7th for Hershey High School’s Community Day.

According to The Washington Post, jobs that require a master’s degree are expected to grow by 21.7% within the next four years.

Dr. Don Martin, a higher education admission expert, wrote an article detailing how having a graduate degree can prove to be beneficial for a person’s future. One of those reasons being a greater financial reward. As of 2016, the average salary for those with a Bachelor’s degree is $65,000 while the average for those with a master’s is $82,000. Those with a PhD earn an average of $97,000 per year.

Kirby said that he hopes to answer any questions that students have during the session.

“I went to graduate school myself, so I’ve had students come and ask me questions,” Kirby explained, “I just want to answer any questions they may have about financing and how many classes to take.”

However, Kirby warned that sometimes having a graduate school degree can make things a little bit more difficult.

“For me, having a PhD worked out well, since a school like Hershey can afford to pay someone like that” Kirby explained, “But if you were to apply for a job at a school that can’t, then having a PhD can actually end up working against you.”

Kirby also informed students about what their academic lives might look like while they are in graduate school.

“Usually a student will have classes for their first two years, and then they will move on to research in their field” Kirby said.

A very common question that people have about graduate school is cost. However, Kirby explained that usually schools will pay for a student’s degree.

“A professor will write a grant that covers the cost for a student” Kirby explained.

Kirby ended the session by telling students that if they are planning to go to graduate school, they should decide whether they really want to go.

“I don’t regret getting my PhD” he said, “But there are plenty of people who get one and realize that it has only made getting a job more difficult because they’re overqualified.”