Pupils Paint Pumpkins

Rachel+Haines+paints+pumpkins+at+Hershey+High+School+on+October+7th%2C+2016.++Community+day+brought+students+together+through+different+sessions+they+could+sign+up+for.+%28Broadcaster%2F+Elaina+Joyner%29+

Rachel Haines paints pumpkins at Hershey High School on October 7th, 2016. Community day brought students together through different sessions they could sign up for. (Broadcaster/ Elaina Joyner)

Elaina Joyner, Reporter

What better way to prepare for Halloween than pumpkin painting?

Sigma Gamma offered this fun, fall activity during Community Day on October 7, 2016. Freshman Olivia Bratton and Allie Grenoble, was able to experience what Sigma Gamma is all about. Sophomore Taylor Yahn, got to journey back to the past and enjoy Sigma Gamma again. Seniors Mckenna Zitko and Lauren Miller, are now leaders in Sigma Gamma and were able to share their love for the club.  

Community Day at Hershey High School is a way to bring students together and learn about student run clubs that are offered. This is the Second Annual Community Day and is planned to be a tradition at HHS. The idea for Community Day originated at a student and teacher meet and greet where they came up with ideas to make the high school better.

Sigma Gamma is one of many clubs that has been around for years. It is a club for Freshman and Seniors to come together. Shari Taylor-Stuckey, English teacher, runs Sigma Gamma and helps the Seniors be leaders.

“It is a way to invite the freshman into the high school so they feel welcomed,” said Zitko.

For Yahn, Sigma Gamma was entertaining.

“We did a lot of things that you would not usually do. We went to Kmart and goofed around. We also went out to eat all together,” said Yahn.

Yahn enjoyed the part of bringing the seniors and freshmen together because they made her feel like she was apart of the school.

Korryn Kehler is all smiles while enjoying her first session of the day.  Sigma Gamma organized this session for students to enjoy. (Broadcaster/ Elaina Joyner)
Korryn Kehler is all smiles while enjoying her first session of the day. Sigma Gamma organized this session for students to enjoy. (Broadcaster/ Elaina Joyner)

In addition, Zitko explained why she loved Sigma Gamma, “I got lost all the time [as a freshman] and having someone to help me was really nice.”

The club offers activities such as fundraising, helping the community, obstacle courses, scavenger hunts and a New York City trip in the winter. The girls are suggested to start fundraising for the New York City trip to see a broadway production.

Furthermore, for the Community Day activity, Sigma Gamma bought pumpkins and paint for the students. HHS students painted spiders, names, televison shows, galaxies, and “Happy Halloween” on their pumpkins.

Bratton’s experience today with Sigma Gamma’s pumpkin painting was fun and exciting. “It was so fun. We had the chance to be creative and draw something with our imagination,” commented Bratton.

Bratton and Grenoble both painted their pumpkins with their initials in pink and white letters.

Grenoble stated, “It was great experience to just be with your friends and be creative.”