2020 Foot Locker National Championships cancelled

Brooke Preputnick, Reporter

Zofia Dudek, a senior from Ann Arbor Pioneer High School in Michigan, crosses the finish line at 16:45.00 taking the win for 2019. Zofia battled it out to the finish with another senior Marlee Starliper, however, Zofia out kicked her on the last 100 meters. (Foot Locker Cross Country)

Cross Country Foot Locker Nationals were cancelled for the year 2020 due to many concerns over COVID-19. 

This decision has been long awaited since August, but was postponed until further meetings were held. In a tweet on October 2, 2020, the Foot Locker Cross Country Championships said the decision to cancel did not come easily, as this will be the first time in four decades the race will not be occurring. 

The finals were slated to be run on the Morely Field course at Balboa Park in San Diego, California on December 5, 2020.

The 5k cross country race takes 40 qualifiers from the Northeast, South, Midwest, and West Regions for them to compete against the best in the country. 

There were some incredible performances last year at the championships. Josh Methner was the champion of 2019 and ran 15:08.80. Zofia Dudek ran a blazing 16:45.00 and took first place for the girls. 

Girls Foot Locker champion of 2018, Sydney Masciarelli, shared her thoughts on the cancellation; “I was saddened to hear that Foot Locker was canceled this year, but it reminded me of how grateful I am to have had the opportunity to attend the meet two times and take home the win my first year. I am thankful to have been a part of such a prestigious and historic event, and it is an experience that will stick with me for a lifetime,” according to Mile Split.

Although many seniors will not have the chance to attend this race again, it is hoped that Foot Locker Nationals will continue on next year.